With the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show less than a month away, it’s time we brushed up on our VS model facts! For the next few weeks we’ll be posting a bombshell a day with interesting facts like their breakthrough moment in the industry to their first job with Victoria’s Secret. Be sure to check back everyday to see who’s next!
Here are 10 facts about Chanel Iman:
- Chanel wanted to model her entire life, starting as a child model and winning third place in Ford’s Supermodel of the World contest when she was just 12 years old.
- Her full name is Chanel Iman Robinson, and while she was indeed named after Coco Chanel, Iman came from the name of her cousin, not the name of Iman the supermodel.
- She made her big debut on the runways of New York Fashion Week including Proenza Schouler and Marc Jacobs in 2006.
- In 2009, Chanel signed a three-year contract with Victoria’s Secret.
- Chanel is the first model of color to go major-league since Naomi and Tyra.
- She has a tattoo of a wire clothes hanger with her name underneath at the nape of her neck.
- Her apartment has an entire wall of frames featuring every cover she’s ever been on.
- She and her mother own a clothing boutique in Culver City, California called The Red Bag.
- She became a Victoria’s Secret Angel in 2010.
- She has a maltese named “Louis Dior” whom she named during a fitting with John Galliano who was honored to have her dog named after him.