As history would have it, the new year is often celebrated with a laundry list of what appears to be practical resolutions that promise to reverse all of those rotten habits we’ve picked up on since, well, the last time we made a resolutions list. Whether it be from a lack of effort— hello, Homeland marathon!— or a lack of noticeable results right out of the gate, somewhere between January and Valentine’s Day those resolutions become nothing more than a distant memory of our overachieving New Year’s self. Well, we’ve got news for you— the resolution game is about to change and Modelinia is here to help!!
All year long, our team of editors are busy picking the brains of the world’s most beautiful women, picking up on all of their best-kept fitness, health and beauty secrets. With their insanely fit physiques and well-advised nutritional plans, these pretty ladies always prove to be one step ahead in terms of staying in supreme shape even through the most indulgent times throughout the year. These get-fit queens have taught us more than a thing or two over the years, so in honor of your newly inspired selves, Modelinia has gathered some of the models’ best diet and fitness tips to create the ultimate Master Cleanse for 2013! Below, check out everything you’ll need to get in fast supermodel shape including recipes and nutritional guides from Miranda Kerr, Petra Nemcova and Lonneke Engel, along with the most effective at-home workouts practiced by model trainer David Kirsch, Izabel Goulart and others. What are you waiting for? Grab your sneaks and prepare to see a whole new (model-approved) you!
1. There’s no better way to kick start your new healthy lifestyle than with a cleansing juice regime that’s a proven model favorite! Our go-to model juicer, Valentina Zelyaeva, recommends jump starting the cleansing process with 1-2 days of a juice cleanse, where she drinks freshly made juices and lots of water, while still keeping up with her regular workout routine. Try this easy smoothie recipe at home: 1 banana, 1 apple, 1-cup spinach and 1-cup water. Add flax seeds or chia seeds for extra health benefits.
2. In terms of a healthy diet, Organice Your Life founder, Lonneke Engel, ensures us that “organic is the only way to go!” The cover girl swears by eating clean, all-natural foods, which means lots of trips to the farmer’s market. In this video, Lonneke takes us through one of NYC’s finest outdoor markets to point out the most nutritional foods available— Fact: you don’t have to give up potatoes while practicing a healthy diet! Head into the kitchen and get a lesson in organic cooking with Lonneke in the video below!
See more videos on modelinia.com
3. Nothing says New Year sesolution like a model boot camp! David Kirsch takes things to the next level with his effective cardio boot camp performed by model Julie Henderson in the video below. Watch the pounds melt away!
See more videos on modelinia.com
Along with lots of walking and yoga, Izabel Goulart boasts the benefits of a “Brazilian Butt Workout” which is made up of a series of leg lifts and squats with weights attached to the ankles. Before the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, Izabel was doing at least an hours worth of butt lifts a day, but we’ve got a breakdown of the routine that can be achieved in 5 minutes or less!
- Start off standing with your feet shoulder-width apart, arms flat at your sides.
- Keeping your weight on your heels, sit back into a squat and lift your right leg straight behind you. Make sure to keep your hips pointing forward while extending your arms.
- Return to your starting position and switch sides. Alternate and repeat for 4-5 minutes.
5. Rather than drinking tons of caffeine and surgary drinks to fight fatigue, take a cue from model, Jessica Stam, and stick to healthy on-the-go snacks! Jessica’s kale chips recipe is yummy, super healthy, and “pretty perfect,” thanks to the top model’s culinary skills. See the recipe below, and kiss the 2pm energy slump goodbye!
1/4 - 1/3 cup of good extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic cloves (3 cloves)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
5-6 ounce bag of fresh kale (pre-washed and cut)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Warm the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, add the garlic, and cook for just 1 minute, but don’t allow the garlic to turn brown. Remove from heat then add the salt and pepper to the saucepan mixture and stir. Pour mixture over fresh chopped kale in a large bowl and toss until leaves are entirely covered. Add extra olive oil if need be, but don’t overdo it.
Spread out the kale on a large baking sheet. Bake until a little crispy on the edges but still tender, about 20 minutes. Be sure to place the kale in one layer on the cookie sheet. Overcrowding will steam the kale rather than crisp it.
6. Legs, butt and abs— they may be the hardest areas to tone and get in shape, but with this killer workout you’ll be surprised at how fast you can slip back into those skinny jeans!
See more videos on modelinia.com
7. Contrary to popular belief, working out doesn’t have to be a bore. We love this fun workout tip from Miranda Kerr, who proves that anyone can get into runway-ready shape with just the right moves and some good music. Here’s how Miranda got herself prepared for the Victoria’s Secret catwalk:
“Well, I’m quite consistent with my workout. For the show though, I did amp it up a bit, you know doing a lot more squats and resistance training and Pilates. I do have a little secret though, and that is doing the plank pose and holding that for a good like 15-20 minutes while moving from your side to back down on your elbows and back up on your hands again. If you can do that for like 15 minutes that’s a full body workout! It really just gets all the muscles. And for me it’s all about good music. I have to have good music going and then I can have fun. And something that I’ve really gotten into recently, which I didn’t even know could be so fun, is just putting the music on— like hip-hop because I love that— and getting low and just start shacking to the beat while staying low. And I can have the music on while my son is dancing around but I’m just shacking and working out.”
8. Speaking of Miranda Kerr, the supermodel gets her blood moving with exercise, but she’s more about staying on a balanced diet. See a typical day of eating for Miranda below:
- Fresh fruit salad with yoghurt and muesli
- Rye toast with avocado and boiled eggs
- Water with lemon and ginger
- Cup of green tea
- Pecans, almonds, and walnuts to nibble on for morning tea
- Fresh tuna salad with spelt crispbreads
- Water with lemon and dandelion tea
- Piece of fruit or nuts for afternoon tea
- Either a salmon steak or other fish or lamb loin chops or a piece of steak with veggies or salad. I don’t eat a lot of potato, but I eat heaps of greens and sweet potato and pumpkin roasted.
- A cup of green tea with ginger
9. Put down the take-out menus and step away from the frozen dinners! You don’t need to be a professional chef to whip up a nutritous meal enjoyed by all. Here’s a simple, yet scrumptious, recipe for Lonneke’s Thai Style Lettuce Wraps done the fresh and healthy way:
hot & sour sauce
1. Chop all vegetables until they are all really small cubes.
2. Stir fry all vegetables in a bit of sesame oil with pine nuts, salt & pepper.
3. Wash the lettuce, and dry off.
4. Fill the lettuce leaves with vegetables.
5. Wrap it up.
6. Dip in hot & sour sauce.
10. After all of your hard work, you deserve something special, so don’t forget to treat yourself! Instead of going for the junk food though, make like supermodel Petra Nemcova and indulge in a sweet, healthy treat:
“I like organic chocolates that are about 85% cocoa chocolate. It’s very rich and you don’t gain weight from it - I eat a lot of it. It’s a conscious treat that makes you feel good and tastes good too!”